Monday 22 August 2011

The Stripping Lady

I picked up the XL883L on sunday and was really nervous for some reason.
It's been a long time since I've bought a bike privately and I guess
with all the horror stories you hear about people getting their cash nicked and beaten
to a pulp it's no surprise that the butterflies were wurring!

We arrived just outside Basingstoke and were greated by a very friendly
seller and his soon to be wife.

He showed me the bike and it's in very good condition!

To be honest I could probably just clean it and resell it and I'd make a tidy profit,
but that's not just the aim of these little adventures.

So I paid the man and off I went on the quick little 2 hour trip home.
The bike in it's current state is VERY uncomfortable.
Because it's the low version the seat has almost no padding so you really do feel
EVERY bump and pothole in the road. The buckhorn style bars don't help either.
It forces you into a very small operating area and because of the low seat the footpegs
seem to be 6 inches out of sync.

So gettting the bike home and stripping it down was a pleasure.
Knowing that the bike is going to be given a total makeover as well as
making it more comfortable gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside! :)

I spent 2 hours in the sun yesterday taking off the following bits:

Front Fender
Wing mirrors
Air Cleaner
Headlight
Speedo
Rear double seat

I also found the FUELPAK which I thought I was going to have to buy.
RESULT! :)







I'll be stipping the wheels and sending them off to be powdercoated along with
a few other bits and pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment