Sunday 5 June 2011

GRIND IT!

Q: How do you solve the problem of expensive parts??

A: FABRICATE YOUR OWN . . . ish!!
I bought a grinder to help make a few bits and bobs out of existing parts.
I was going to buy a small welding machine too but I'm not at a stage where I'm
doing enough to justify it.
So the grinder will be my weapon of choice.
Side Note: When I was a kid I used to spend hours in the garage making things out of 
stuff that was lying around. I made a clock out of an old tree stump, I stripped and sanded my moutain
bike and  repainted it.
But my pride and joy was the CROSSBOW I built.
It wasn't very accurate but it was deadly. A ton of power . . . although most of the time it would
veer way off course and actually became too dangerous to play with.
I even made my own arrows out of delrods and the bolt (Sharpened) from a door hinge. 

My first project is a pair of footpegs. I wanted to get a pair of offroad footpegs with the 
sharp teeth but couldn't find any other than the RSD ones. RSD parts are 
beautiful but when someone says to me "Yeah, I customised my Harley" and all
that's happened is you've taken £2000 and stuck a few "Bolt-On" parts on it, to me,
that is not a custom bike. To me, that's simply putting your stamp on it.
Both I think are equally good but I'm gonna get my hands dirty!

Right... High horse...Dismount...

So I'm thinking something like these:
Solution: Take a pair of slightly scratched HD Iron footpegs and start grinding.
The Result:


 

Now I am pretty proud of these and considering I've never used a grinder before, I'm Stoked!!

Now all I'm going to do is file and sand em down and then decide on a colour.

B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!! :))))


No comments:

Post a Comment